Thursday, April 16, 2009

aging


Although I haven't yet turned 50, my recent birthday reminded me that for all intents and purposes, my life is half over.
Growth and change marked the first half. Starting out in rural South Dakota with two very hardworking and determined Christian parents, I learned quickly that the lazy and inept were not to be tolerated. We worked hard, worshipped often, but also had time for games of Yatzee and Pit, and kickball in the front yard with the neighbors from across the road. "Maude" was forbidden on T.V., but "Gunsmoke" and "60 Minutes" were mandatory.

Fast forward to college, when God reached down and got a hold of my soul. My parents' faith became real to me. I fell in and out of love a few times and found out what real friendship is.

After graduation, moving to the big city of Minneapolis was an eye opener. For the first time I was a small fish in a big sea, rather than vice-versa. A lot of tears were shed as I tried to navigate adulthood alone.

Then I met the man I have spent the past 20 years with - my best friend. Now the adventure was really beginning. I moved with him to a developing country,"far from the home I loved." Seven and a half years later, I had bore four beautiful children, who consumed all my time and energy.

Nine years have passed, and Motherhood is still a full-time job. Even though they now can make their own supper when I am beat from a day of subbing, they still protest when I announce plans to be away for an evening. Thus begins my second half of life. I know that my role as their Mom will change drastically as they leave the nest.

What else will this half bring? I dream of time to take ballrooom dancing lessons with my husband, write my life story, and someday live again in the land of my childhood.

1 comment:

The Arteagas said...

Hi Kathy- at first I thought it was Ralph writing this post, then realized it had to be you who "bore" those four children! hee, hee! FOUR - I can barely manage one! Congratulations of making it through 1/2 of your life - I'm sure you'll have many more dreams realized before its all over! Happy dancing! Ruth

http://aboxofcurtains.blogspot.com